Jefferson County

US States / N / Nebraska / Jefferson County
Jefferson

Jefferson County is named for Thomas Jefferson, who was President of the United States from 1801 to 1809.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Saline County

E – Gage County

S – Washington County, Kansas

W – Thayer County

 

Created:  January 26, 1856                    Map of Nebraska highlighting Jefferson County

County Seat:

Fairbury  1856 – present

 

County Courthouse –  Fairbury  

 

Location:  411 4th Street / D Street

Built:  1891 – 1892

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:  J C Holland

Contractor:  R K Allen & Son

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story gray colored rusticated limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Fairbury. The center section on the south side, projects slightly and has an arched entrance on the first story and rises to a parapet with the Statue of Justice above. The building has a square stone tower with steep roof on each corner. The low corner reliefs are capped by ornate roof structures with pseudo dormers. In the center of the roof is a high square clock tower with yellow colored dome and four-faced clock. The building has a raised basement. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County District Court and County Court of the 1st Judicial District. 

 

See:  The architect, J C Holland and Company of Topeka, designed courthouses in Kansas in Clay CountyGeary County and Mitchell County. Holland and Son designed courthouses in Ness County and Rice County. With Frank C Squires, he designed courthouses in Riley County and Thomas County. With Charles W Squires, he designed the courthouses in Marion County and Osborne County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Jefferson County Courthouse

 

See:  The 1st Judicial District includes Fillmore County, Gage County, Johnson CountyNehama CountyOtoe CountyPawnee County, Richardson CountySaline County and Thayer County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1856 and Fairbury was selected as the county seat in 1871 when the county was organized. The first courthouse was a small two story brick structure erected in 1873 as a temporary courthouse. The county offices were moved into the top two floors of the “Opera House” which had just been built in November of 1882 when the second and present courthouse was constructed in 1890 to 1892.

 

 

0228nm16

County Courthouse – Fairbury

 

 

2465m09

 

 

 

2459m09

 

 

x1_8

 

 

2460m09

 

 

2461m09

 

 

2462m09

 

 

x_17

 

 

2458m09

 

 

2466m09

 

 

2463m09

 

 

2464m09

 

 

0232nm16

 

 

0233nm16

 

 

0234nm16

 

 

2467m09

 

 

2468m09

 

 

2469m09

 

 

2457m09

Photos taken 2009 and 2016