Doniphan County is named for Alexander W Doniphan, who was the commander of a regiment of cavalry during the Mexican War.
Created: August 25, 1855
Troy 1858 – present
County Courthouse – Troy
Location: 120 East Chestnut Street / South Main Street
Built: 1905 – 1906
Architect: George P Washburn & Sons of Ottawa
Contractor: J H Wagenknecht of Wathena
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red brick and limestone structure. The building is located on the Courthouse Square with landscaped grounds. The south front has a porch supported by four limestone pillars with balcony above. On the corners of the building are round towers with conical roofs. Between the towers is a peaked section with small windows on the fourth story. On the center of the roof is an octagonal dome with windows and domed roof. On the grounds is a 35 foot Indian burr oak sculpture by Peter Toth.
Note: The courthouse constructed in 1867 to 1868 by J J Johnson and Edward Straughn, was razed in 1905 to permit construction of the present courthouse. The cost of construction of the courthouse was $39,950.
Note: The architect, George P Washburn & Sons, designed courthouses in Anderson County, Atchison County, Bulter County, Chautaugua County, Franklin County, Harper County, Kingman County, Miami County, Pratt County and Woodson County, and Beaver County in Oklahoma.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Doniphan County Courthouse
S – Atchison County
W – Brown County
Photos taken 2009