Clay County is named for Henry Clay, who was an American statesman, U.S. Senator and Congressman from Kentucky 1806-1852, U.S. Secretary of State 1825-1829, three times Speaker of the House and three times candidate for president.
Created: March 7, 1855
Clay Center 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Clay Center
Location: 111 West Fairfield Street / South Alexander Avenue
Built: 1918 – 1919
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William F Gernandt of Omaha
Contractor: Olson – Magee Company.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The north front has a projecting center section with two columns rising from the first to second story on either side of the recessed center. There is a column on either side of the balcony on the second story and above is a wide header with crest. A projecting horizontal cornice runs below the first story and another runs below the flat roof line.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by W D Young and constructed in 1888. The building was demolished.
See: The architect, William F Gernandt of Omaha, designed courthouses in Dawson County, Merrick County, Pawnee County, Phelps County, Polk County, Richardson County, Sarpy County, Valley County and Webster County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Clay County Courthouse
N – Hamilton County
E – Fillmore County
S – Nuckolls County
W – Adams County
Photos taken 2010