Nuckolls County is named for Stephen F Nuckolls, who was a prominent pioneer.
Created: January 13, 1860
Nelson 1871 – present
County Courthouse – Nelson
Location: 150 Main Street / West 1st Street
Built: 1890 – 1891
Style: Beaux Arts and Italianate
Architect: George E McDonald of Omaha, Nebraska
Contractor: Seeley Son & Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building is rectangular being 120 feet by 60 feet.The east front has a one story portico supported by four brick pillars. Above the portico is a large arched window with pediment at the roof line. On each corner is a large square brick tower with steep roof. In the center of the building is a high cupola with clock at the top.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $32,000. The first courthouse was constructed in 1872. In 1887, the county rented space in the Nelson Opera House.
See: The architect, George E McDonald of Omaha, Nebraska, designed courthouses in Kansas in Elk County; in Missouri in Andrew County, Bates County, Johnson County and Lawrence County and in Nebraska in Fillmore County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Nuckolls County Courthouse
N – Clay County
E – Thayer County
W – Webster County
Photos taken 2010