Sarpy County

US States / N / Nebraska / Sarpy County
0364I08

Sarpy County is named for Peter A Sarpy, who was an early fur trader located in the Bellevue area.

 

Created:  February 7, 1857

County Seat:

Bellevue   1857 – 1875

Papillion   1875 – present

 

County Hall of Justice – Papillion

 

Location:  1210 Golden Gate Drive / Cedardale Road

Built:  1971 – 1973  /  1973 – 1975

Style:  Modern

Architect:  McGaughy, Marshall, McMillan & Backlund

Contractor:  Lueder Construction Company of Omaha

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a one story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building has large arches with windows and a recessed west entrance.  The roof line is flat. The north section is the Hall of Justice and the south section is the Administration Wing. Construction of the Administrative Wing started in 1973 and was completed in 1974. The architect was McGaughy, Marshall, McMillan & Backlund and the contractor was D R Anderson Company of Omaha. In 2009, the Hall of Justice building was remodeled and renovated. The architect was Al Povondra of Carlson West Povondra and the contractor was All Purpose Construction.

 

Note:  The Courthouse Complex consists of the central Hall of Justice with the attached Administrative Wing on the south side, the Administrative Addition on the east side and the Law Enforcement Building on the west side. The old courthouse which is now the Papillion City Hall is located in the downtown area to the north.

 

Old County Courthouse – Papillion

 

0355i08

 

Location:  122 East Third Street / Washington Street

Built:  1922 – 1923

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  William F Gernandt of Omaha

Contractor:  John L Soderberg & Company of Omaha

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick, stone  and concrete structure. On the south front is a projecting center section with four fluted columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story with wide header above at the roof line. A horizontal belt runs between the first and second stories/ and a cornice runs below the flat roof line. The building is now the Papillion City Hall.

 

See:  The architect, William F Gernandt of Omaha, designed courthouses in Clay County, Dawson County, Merrick County, Pawnee County, Phelps CountyPolk County, Richardson County, Valley County and Webster County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Third Sarpy County Courthouse

 

County Administrative Addition – Papillion

 

0359i08

 

Location:  1210 Golden Gate Drive / Cedardale Road

Built:  2006 – 2008

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Al Povondra of Carlson West Povondra

Contractor:  Upland Construction

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red and buff colored brick structure. The building is located on the east side of the County Government Complex. The entrance is located at the northeast corner with a recessed entrance. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Administration Addition.

 

Old County Courthouse – Bellevue

 

0141nm16

 

Location:  2112 Main Street / Mission Avenue

Built:  1856

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The west front has two entrances with horizontal header running across the width of the building.  The roof is hipped.The building was constructed as the Fontanelle Bank, a “wildcat” bank which failed in 1857. The building became the courthouse in 1861 and served until 1875. The building served as the Bellevue Town Hall until 1959.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Bellevue Town Hall

 

Courthouses: 

N – Douglas County

E – Pottawattamie County, Iowa and Mills County, Iowa 

S – Cass County

W – Saunders County

 

 

 

0362i08

 

 

0363i08

 

 

0151nm16

 

 

0154nm16

 

 

0155nm15

 

 

0365i08

 

 

0366i08

 

 

0354i08

 

 

0356i08

 

 

0357i08

 

 

0358i08

 

 

0360i08

 

 

0361i08

 

 

0367i08

 

 

0140nm16

 

 

0142nm16

 

 

0143nm16

 

 

0145nm16

 

 

0146nm16

Photos taken 2008 and 2016