Saline County is named for the numerous salt springs found in the area.
Created: March 3, 1855
Swan City 1867 – 1871
Pleasant Hill 1871 – 1877
Wilber 1877 – present
County Courthouse – Wilber
Location: 215 South Court Street / West 2nd Street
Built: 1928 – 1929
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Marcus L Evans of Hastings
Contractor: Fred Swanson of McCook
Description: The building faces north and is a three story gray colored Carthage stone structure. The building is located on sp[acious landscaped grounds. The north front has a projecting center section with stone framed central entrance on the first story and four columns rising from the second story to a wide header at the top of the third story. Each side of the building has a similar center section. The first story has horizontal stone work. A wide cornice runs below the flat roof line. The building sits on a rise in landscaped grounds. In 2016 to 2017, an addition was constructed on the north side. The architecrt was Berggren Architects and the contractor was Cheever Construction.
Note: The fixtures for the courthouse were specially designed by Edwin F Guth Company. The construction contract also included construction of the jail to the west of the courthouse.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Mulvey and constructed by W L Vanalstyne in 1878.
See: The architect, Marcus L Evans of Hastings, also designed the courthouse in Red Willow County.
See: The contractor, Fred Swanson of McCook, also constructed the courthouse in Red Willow County,
N – Seward County
S – Jefferson County
W – Fillmore County
Photos taken 2009 and 2016