Gage County is named for William D Gage, who was a Methodist minister and who was the first chaplain of the first territorial assembly.
Created: March 16, 1855
Beatrice 1857 – present
County Courthouse – Beatrice
Location: 612 Grant Street / North 6th Street
Built: 1890 – 1892
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: Frederick Gunn & Louis Curtiss of Kansas City, Missouri
Contractor: M T Murphy of Omaha
Description: The building faces south and is a four story rock-faced blue colored Beattie limestone and Rawlins gray colored sandstone structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square and has a large square stone clock tower rising above the central south entrance. The tower has turrets and a steep peaked roof. The entrance is arched. On the southwest and southeast corners are rounded towers with peaked roofs. The building was partly destroyed by fire on January 7, 1960 and was restored. The architect was Arter and Speece and the contractor was Robertson Construction Company of Beatrice. The building was renovated in 2008 to 2011. The architect was Berggren Architects.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $90,500. The board also decided to use Rawlins or Rawlings stone. rather than Warrensburg, Missouri sandstone. The Gage County commissioners were actively involved ln the courthouse construction, voting on the siting of the building, getting samples of stone, deciding not to wire the building for electricity.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Gage County Courthouse
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1870 on the site of the present courthouse. The building was demolished in 1889 to make way for the present courthouse.
N – Lancaster County
Photos taken 2008, 2009 and 2016