Nemaha County is named for the Nemaha River which name was derived from Otoe Native American “ni” meaning “water” and “maha” meaning “miry” and as such means “miry water river”.
Created: March 7, 1855
Auburn 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Auburn
Location: 1824 N Street / 19th Street
Built: 1900 – 1901
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: George A Berlinghof of Beatrice
Contractor: Rowles & Bailey of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Description: The building faces west and is a two story gray-white colored stone structure. The building has a projecting arched entrance. Above the entrance are three arched windows. The stone was quarried near Rohs, west of the city. At each corner is a large square stone tower with peaked roof.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $37,947. The contract was awarded to W M Rowles & Company and the cornerstone shows Rowles & Bailey.
See: The architect, George A Berlinghof of Beatrice, designed courthouses in Colfax County, Franklin County, Greeley County, Howard County, Kearney County, Lincoln County, Seward County and Thayer County; and in Iowa in Crawford County.
See: The contractor, Rowles & Bailey of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, constructed courthouses in Nebraska in Phelps County; in North Dakota in Pembina County; and in Oklahoma in Grant County and Jackson County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Nemaha County Courthouse
N – Otoe County
E – Atchison County, Missouri
W – Johnson County
Photos taken 2008