Arthur County

US States / N / Nebraska / Arthur County
Arthur

Arthur County is named for Chester Arthur, who was the twenty-first President of the United States of America.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Grant County

E – McPherson County

S – Keith County

W – Garden County

 

Created:  March 31, 1887                       Map of Nebraska highlighting Arthur County

County Seat:

Arthur  1913 – present

 

County Courthouse – Arthur 

 

Location:  111 Elm Street / Marshall Street

Built:  1960 – 1961

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Thomas, Benjamin and Clayton

Contractor:  E Charles Robacker

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The west front the rectangular shaped building has a projecting section on the south side. The north section is lower and has windows. The roof is sloped. The building houses the District Court and County Court of the 11th Judicial District. The building was remodeled in 1967.

 

See:  The architect, Thomas, Benjamin and Clayton also designed the courthouse in Grant County.

 

Old County Courthouse – Arthur 

 

1855nm16

 

Location:  111 Elm Street / Marshall Street

Built:  1913 – 1914

Style:  Wood Frame / Italianate

Architect:  J S Noll

Contractor:  A T Geyer of Arthur County

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a a one story two room white colored clapboard structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Arthur on the east side of the courthouse. The square shaped building has a hipped roof with parapet at the top. The building features roof cresting (replacement), tiny brackets, an unadorned sawtooth cornice, corner pilasters, and simple moulded lintels. 

 

Note:  This former Prairie courthouse was used until the current county courthouse was built in 1961. When it was being used it was officially the smallest courthouse in the nation. It is really a neat place on the inside.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – First Arthur County Courthouse

 

History:  The county was created in 1887 and was under the jurisdiction of Logan County and then McPherson County in 1889 to 1913. Arthur was selected as the county seat in 1913 when the county was organized. The first courthouse was built in 1913 to 1914 at a cost of $980. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1960 to 1961.

\

 

1847nm16

County Courthouse – Arthur

 

 

1848nm16

 

 

1849nm16

 

 

1850nm16

 

 

1851nm16

 

 

1852nm16

 

 

1853nm16

 

 

1854nm16

Old County Courthouse – Arthur

 

 

1856nm16

 

 

1857nm16

 

 

1858nm16

 

 

848texas06

Mill Camp Log Cabin – Arthur

 

 

849texas06

Photos taken 2006 and 2016