Red Willow County is named for Red Willow Creek which is a mistranslation of the Dakota Native American name “Chan-shasha Wakpala” meaning “Red Dog Creek” after the shrub which was abundant along the creek.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Frontier County
E – Furnas County
W – Hitchcock County
Created: February 27, 1873
Indianola 1873 – 1896
McCook 1896 – present
County Courthouse – McCook
Location: 502 George Norris Avenue / East E Street
Built: 1926 – 1927
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Marcus L Evans of Hastings
Contractor: Fred Swanson of McCook
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored Bedford limestone and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of McCook. The building is faced with Bedford limestone on three sides, and the rear or west facade is faced with gray colored brick. The first story has horizontal stonework. The east front has a central entrance on the first story. Four large fluted columns rise from the second story to the top of the third story with recessed windows. A wide cornice runs below the flat roof line. In the interior, the floorplan is T-shaped. There is a symmetric arrangement, monumental proportions, smooth stone surface, prominent columns, unadorned parapet, rusticated and ashlar finish, and such classical elements as acroteria, fluted Doric columns, rosettes, and triglyphs. Among the notable interior elements are three art glass panels on the stair landing, including a personification of the Goddess of Justice. The district courtroom is located on the east side of the third story. The courtroom has heavy moulded semi-circular pediments having cornice returns and consoles and are placed above five doors and three windows. There is attractive wood paneling on all walls, and the judge’s bench has Ionic pilasters and a pair of unusual Art Deco table lamps. The building was remodeled in 1990. The architect was Lloyd Benjamin & Associates and the contractor was Carmichael Construction.
See: The architect, Marcus L Evans of Hastings, also designed the courthouse in Saline County.
See: The contractor, Fred Swanson of McCook, also constructed the courthouse in Saline County,
See: National Register of Historic Places – Red Willow County Courthouse
History: The county was created in 1873 and Indianola was selected as the county seat. The Lincoln Land Company built a small frame building as the first courthouse. The second courthouse was built in 1880. In 1896, the county seat was moved to McCook (Fairview). The third courthouse was designed by A M Leach and built in 1896 to 1897. The courthouse was torn down when the fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1926 to 1927 at a cost of $235,000 which included the jail. During construction, the county moved into the Federal Building.
County Courthouse – McCook
Commissioner Minutes 1926
Photos taken 2010