Logan County

US States / N / Nebraska / Logan County
1559C11

Logan County is named for John A Logan, who was a General and who lived from 1826 to 1886.

 

Created:  February 24, 1885

County Seat:

Gandy       1885 – 1929

Stapleton  1929 – present

 

County Courthouse – Stapleton  

 

Location:  317 Main Street / 3rd Street

Built:  1962 – 1963

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Robert L Murphy

Contractor:  Ely & Sons, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a one story red colored brick and colored concrete structure. The west front has a central recessed glass entrance with the center section of the wall rising above the roof line. On the north side are three vertical windows and on the south side is a large window. The building is “L” shaped with a southeast wing. The roof line is flat.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was designed and built by Jim Gandy in Gandy in 1887. The old jail still stands at Broadway and 4 th Street. The previous courthouse was the former Nicholas Hotel constructed in 1912 and converted in 1930. The building was destroyed by fire in 1962.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Thomas County

E – Custer County

S – Lincoln County

W – McPherson County

 

 

 

1863nm16

 

1560c11

 

 

1561c11

 

 

1562c11

 

 

1563c11

 

 

1564c11

 

 

1565c11

 

 

1867nm16

 

 

1566c11

Photos taken 2011 and 2016