Lincoln County is named for Abraham Lincoln, who was a member of Congress from Illinois ( 1847-1849 and President of the United States ( 1861-1865 ).
Created: January 7, 1860
North Platte 1871 – present
County Courthouse – North Platte
Location: 301 North Jeffers Street / East 3rd Street
Built: 1921 – 1924 / 1931 – 1932
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: George A Berlinghof of Beatrice / C Coursey of North Platte
Contractor: McMichael Brothers of North Platte / H R McMichael of North Platte
Description: The building faces west and is a three story gold colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The west front has stone columns rising from the second to the third story. The roof line is flat. A new one story addition was added on the east side in the 1960’s.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1876 and burned in 1923. The present courthouse construction started in 1921 and stopped in 1924 due to lack of funds. In 1931 construction started again with C C Coursey being hired as architect and H R McMichael hired as contractor for a cost of $55,726. The total cost of construction was $325,000..
See: The architect, George A Berlinghof of Beatrice, designed courthouses in Colfax County, Franklin County, Greeley County, Howard County, Kearney County, Nemaha County, Seward County and Thayer County; and in Iowa in Crawford County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Lincoln County Courthouse
Photos taken 2007