Gosper County is named for John J Gosper, who was secretary of state in Nebraska.
Created: August 29, 1873
Elwood 1881 – present
County Courthouse – Elwood
Location: 507 Smith Avenue / Rochelle Street
Built: 1938 – 1939
Architect: McClure and Walker
Contractor: W L Phillips & Sons.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story light red colored brick and concrete structure. The building faces west and was completed in 1939. The rectangular building has a projecting center section on the west side with recessed entrance on the first story. There are concrete panels between the windows on the first and second stories. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1896. The building was demolished when the present courthouse was constructed.
N – Dawson County
E – Phelps County
S – Furnas County
W – Frontier County
Photos taken 2010