Dundy County

US States / N / Nebraska / Dundy County
Dundy

Dundy County is named for Judge Elmer S Dundy ( 1830-1896 ) of the United States circuit court and a former resident of Falls City, Nebraska.

 

Created:  February 27, 1873

County Seat:

Benkelman  1880 – present

 

County Courthouse – Benkelman  

 

Location:  106 7th Avenue West / Chief Street

Built:  1921 – 1922

Style:  Federal

Architect:  A T Simmons of Bloomington, Illinois

Contractor:  Mont J Green of Manhattan, Kansas

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has stone steps rising to the entrance. The central south section projects from the main building and has a canopy over the first story entrance and small windows on the third story section which rises above the flat roof line. A horizontal belt runs below the first story windows.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was constructed in 1889. The building was demolished.

 

See:  The architect, A T Simmons of Bloomington, Illinois, also designed the courthouse in Chase County.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Chase County

E – Hitchcock County

S – Rawlins County, Kansas and Cheyenne County, Kansas

W – Yuma County, Colorado

 

 

 

0226nm07

 

 

x_4

 

 

0227nm07

Photos taken 2007