Renville County is named for Joseph Renville, an early settler in Minnesota, who served with the British in the War of 1812 leading a company of Dakota warriors against the United States forces later serving as an interpreter, trader and source of information about Dakota.
Created: February 20, 1855
Beaver Falls 1872 – 1895
Olivia 1895 – 1898
Beaver Falls 1898 – 1900
Olivia 1900 – present
County Courthouse – Olivia
Location: 500 East Depue Avenue / South 4th Street
Built: 1902 – 1903
Style: French Second Empire
Architect: Fremont D Orff of Minneapolis
Contractor: O H Olson of Stillwater
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored stone, brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The corner towers of red colored brick are trimmed with yellow colored stone that appears in quoins, belt coursed, and window surrounds, as well as the central portico and solid rusticated high basement. The blue-green copper segmented domes over the corner pavilions and the central tower suggest. However, the center pavilion with its balustered porch, fluted columns and classic oculus-pierced pediments is in the Georgian style. The courtroom is located on the second story. In 1933, the building was repaired and redecorated.
Note: The first courthouse was built at Beaver Falls in 1872 at a cost of $2,000. The second courthouse was built in 1889. At a cost of $3,939. In 1895, the county seat was moved to Olivia and a local business building served as the third courthouse. In 1896, the court returned to Beaver Falls and then returned to Olivia in 1900. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $88,000.
County Government Services Center – Olivia
Location: 5th Street South / Lincoln Avenue
Built: 1991 – 1992
Architect: Klein McCarthy Architects of St. Louis Park
Contractor: Nelson Construction Company Inc. of Willmar
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick, buff colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city on the east side of the courthouse. The building is rectangular shaped and the roof line is flat. The building is named as the Renville County Government Services Center. An addition was built on the south side in 2007 and completed in 2008. The addition is also rectangular shaped. The architect was Klein McCarthy Architects of St. Louis Park and the contractor was Contegrity Group Inc. of Little Falls.
County Government Services Center
Building before addition
Photos taken 2007, 2010 and 2017