Chippewa County is named for the Chippewa or Ojibway Indians and the Chippewa River, which joins the Minnesota River in the county. “Chippewa” is a French corruption of “Ojibway”.
Created: February 20, 1862
Chippewa City 1862 – 1870
Montevideo 1870 – present
County Courthouse – Montevideo
Location: 629 North 11th Street / Washington Avenue
Built: 1955 – 1957
Style: Modern / Corporate International
Architect: Thorshov and Cerny, Inc. of Minneapolis
Contractor: Dean Contracting and Pedersen Bros.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story stone and glass structure. The building is flat, blocky and functional. A second floor projects out onto four heavy piers that give the effect of a classical portico. At the same time the windowless projection adds weight and dignity to the building. A one-story wing is attached on the south side. The long corridors of the interior have terrazzo floors, marble-faced walls, and stair-railings of polished aluminum. One of the courtrooms is finished in dark cherry wood and the other courtroom in light Philippine mahogany. The building sits on a 10 acre site.
Note: The first courthouse designed by J Haley of Minneapolis and built by A A Whittemore at a cost of $9,350 in 1883. The building was enlarged in 1901. The present was constructed at a cost of $900,000.
N – Swift County
E – Kandiyohi County
Photos taken 2007, 2010 and 2017