Meeker County is named for Bradley B Meeker, who was an Associate Justice of the Minnesota Territorial Supreme Court.
Created: February 23, 1856
Forrest City 1856 – 1869
Litchfield 1869 – present
County Courthouse – Litchfield
Location: 325 North Sibley Avenue / West 4th Street
Built: 1973 – 1974
Architect: Genesis Architects of Willmar
Contractor: Adolphson-Peterson, Inc of Minneapolis
Description: The building faces east and is a three story white colored stucco and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. There are windows in two deep cut horizontal bands. Glass aprons the ground level, slanting diagonally into the plane of the building. Natural light is also a feature of the other three levels, which open into a central atrium beneath a large segmented skylight. The courtroom is located on the fifth level. A one story addition was added to the rear of the building in 2001 to 2002. The architect was Engan Associates of Willmar and the contractor was Spectra Building Group of Monticello.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1860 in Forest City, and in 1869, the courthouse was moved to Litchfield. The second courthouse was designed by G B Phelps and constructed by J A McKay & Company in 1885 and completed 14 years later at a cost of $20,000.
N – Stearns County
E – Wright County
W – Kandiyohi County
Picture 1885 Courthouse
Photos taken 2007, 2008 and 2019