Redwood County is named for the Redwood River and “redwood” is the translation of the Dakota name “chanshayapi”.
Created: February 6, 1862
Redwood Falls 1866 – present
County Courthouse – Redwood Falls
Location: 250 South Jefferson Street NW / 3rd Street
Built: 1891 – 1892
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: E P Bassford of Saint Paul
Contractor: William Lettau
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and granite structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has a glassed portico at the front entrance. The base of the building is course white stone. The roof is hipped. An addition was added on the east and south sides in 1970. The architect was Glen Cording Associates, Inc.
Note: The first court was convened in a hall owned by J Schmalll in 1866 and the next year court was held over a store owned by Louis Robert. In 1870, the first courthouse was built. In 1872, the courthouse square was deeded to the county by Sam McPail and A Dolvin built the second courthouse at a cost of $2,150. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $35,000.
Photos taken 2008 and 2017