McLeod County is named after Martin McLeod, an early fur trader in Minnesota.
Created: March 1, 1856
Glencoe 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Glencoe
Location: 830 11th Street East / Ives Avenue North
Built: 1876 – 1877
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Bisbee, Bardwell & Company of Minneapolis
Contractor: Bisbee, Bardwell & Company of Minneapolis
Description: The building faces north and is a two story brown colored brick structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The north front has a recessed center section flanked by tall columns rising to a wide header rising above the flat roof line. The entrance is framed with stone with a carved stone pediment above. The corners of the building were quoined in stone. Between 1876 and 1982, the building has been added to six times. The impression from the front of the building is that of a 1909 vintage structure The 1909 classic columned renovation was designed by W F Kinney of Stebbins, Kinney and Halden and the contractor was Emil M Johnson. The main courtroom is located on the second story of the original building and two other courtroom are located on the first and second stories of the west addition. An addition was constructed in 1936 on the south side. The architect was Pass & Rockey and the contractor was Fleischer & Son Inc. of Minneapolis. The brick box section on the west joined to the main building by a recessed two-story glass section was constructed in 1958. The addition was designed by Hammel & Green of St. Paul and is compatible to the original building though completely contemporary. The contractor was Gunner I Johnson of Minneapolis. In 2018, a modern addition was constructed on the south side. The architect was Wold Architects and Engineers and the contractor was Contegrity Group, Inc. of Little Falls. On the southwest side is the Sheriff Office.
See: National Register of Historic Places – McLeod County Courthouse
Note: The first court met in a log school house and the first and present and second courthouse was built in 1876 at a cost of $9,967.
E – Carver County
S – Sibley County
Photos taken 2007 and 2019