Sibley County

US States / M / Minnesota / Sibley County
0001T12

Sibley County is named for General Henry Hastings Sibley, an early pioneer, governor and military defender of the state. He was the first Governor of Minnesota.

 

Created:  March 5, 1853

County Seat:

Henderson  1853 – 1915

Gaylord       1915 – present

 

County Courthouse – Gaylord

 

Location:  400 Court Avenue / Harrison Street

Built:  1917 – 1918

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  James A Burner and William H Macomber

Contractor:  Olson & Johnson

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story gray stone structure. The south front has six columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story and they support a classic pediment and entablature above a high basement of horizontally-course stone. Large glass windows on two levels open the wall behind the columns. The building also has bronze entry doors and a stained glass skylight in the dome above the three-story octagonal rotunda. Inside, the main office floor is marble-faced with four principal offices designated by bronze name plates on opposite angles of the octagon. The ceiling is coffered and enameled in soft gold and green designs, which blend with the coloured marble decoration bordering the top of the walls. Two marble stairways rise to the second level and a narrow strip of ebony sets off light wood doors.  The main courtroom is located on the north side of the second story. There is a smaller courtroom on the south side of the second story. The annex was built in 1974 on the west side of the courthouse. The architect Rieke-Carroll-Muller Associates and the contractor was Loeffel-Engstrand of Hopkins.

   

Old County Courthouse – Henderson

 

429m19

 

Location:  600 Main Street / 6th Street

Built:  1879 – 1880

Style:  Italianate

Architect:  Frank Barnard

Contractor:  Local labor

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick, stone and wood Italianate style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a central entrance. The second story windows are arched. The hipped roof is truncated. The foundation is Kasota stone. The former courtroom is located at the second story and there is a large meeting room on the first story. The building serves as the City Hall.

 

 

Note:  The first court met in Valley House in Henderson in 1855. The first courthouse was a two story frame structure built by Henry Poehler in 1858 in Henderson at Main Street and 3rd Street. In 1879 a two story brick structure was designed by Frank Barnard and built as the second courthouse at Main Street and 6th Street.at a cost of $12,920, In 1915, the county seat was moved to Gaylord and the third and present courthouse was constructed.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Renville County, McLead County and Carver County

E – Scott County and Le Sueur County

S –  Nicolett County 

W – Renville County

 

 

 

659lm07

County Courthouse 

 

 

0002t12

 

 

0003t12

 

 

396m19

 

 

395m19

 

 

400m19

 

 

402m19

 

 

403m19

 

 

404m19

 

 

405m19

 

 

406m19

 

 

407m19

 

 

408m19

 

 

410m19

 

 

412m19

 

 

413m19

 

 

414m19

 

 

415m19

 

 

416m19

 

 

418m19

 

 

419m19

 

 

420m19

 

 

421m19

 

 

423m19

 

 

426m19

 

 

428m19

County Jail

 

 

430m19

Old County Courthouse – Henderson

 

 

431m19

 

 

433m19

 

 

434m19

 

 

435m19

 

 

436m19

Photos taken 2007, 2012 and 2019