Pope County is named for General John Pope, who led explorations in the area. He was also commander of the United States Army’s Department of the Northwest, headquartered in Saint Paul.
Created: February 20, 1862
Stockdale 1866 – 1867
Glenwood 1866 – present
County Courthouse – Glenwood
Location: 130 East Minnesota Avenue / 1st Street SE
Built: 1928 – 1930
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Nairne W Fisher of St. Cloud
Contractor: Mads Madsen
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has a central pavilion that boasts engaged piers, decorated panels and heavy entablature. Upon the central frieze are carved the words: “Built to Perpetuate Civic Order and Justice”. The building is 62 feet by 146 feet. The light sand-coloured brick came from Ohio and the limestone trim is from Bedford, Indiana. The hallway wainscoting is Vermont marble. Metal grillwork in the stairway and protective ornament on the front doors were custom-designed. The courtroom is located on the second story. Walnut with black ebony inlay was used for courtroom furniture. The commissioners’ boardroom and various lobby benches were furnished and decorated with quarter-sawed oak, enhanced with ebony. An addition was constructed in 1985. The architect was Rieke Carroll Muller Associates Inc. The building was renovated in 2011. The architect was Klein McCarthy Architects of Minneapolis and the contractor was Contegrity Group Inc. of Little Falls.
Note : The first courthouse in 1866 was a log cabin in Stockdale. The second courthouse was a two story wood structure built in Glenwood in 1867. In 1879, the third courthouse was a two story brick structure built at a cost of $8,000. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1928 at a cost of $153,000.
Old County Courthouse – Glenwood
Location: 809 South Lake Shore Drive / 8th Avenue SE
Style: Log Cabin
Architect: OLe Peterson
Contractor: Ole Peterson
Description: The building faces
N – Douglas County
E – Stearns County
W – Stevens County
Picture 1879 Courthouse
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2007, 2012 and 2019