Swift County is named for Henry Adoniram Swift, who was Governor of Minnesota in 1863. and who was elected lieutenant governor and then succeeded to the governorship when Governor Alexander Ramsey resigned to become a United States Senator.
Created: February 18, 1870
Benson 1870 – present
County Courthouse – Benson
Location: 301 14th Street North / Idaho Avenue
Built: 1897 – 1898
Style: Richardsonia Romanesque
Architect: Buechner and Jacobson of Saint Paul
Contractor: Deeks & Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and stone n structure. Two stories and the basement are topped with steep gabled attic and two towers. The major tower rises to double the height of the building. The towers, gables, dormers, cornice and triple-arched entrance are embellished with Kasota stone above the high, rusticated limestone foundation. The building also has Syrian polished granite columns and carved capitals. Inside, the building is finished with golden oak woodwork, parquet floors, oak wainscoting and marble mopboards. In 1976, a clock and carillon chimes were installed in the tower. During construction, the Superintendent was John Bergstrom. The building was renovated in 2017 to 2018. The architect was Wold Architects and Engineers and the contractor was Sussner Construction. The courtroom is temporally located in the Law Enforcement Center on the west side of the courthouse.
E – Kandiyohi County
S – Chippewa County
Photos taken 2007, 2012 and 2017