Big Stone County is the named for Big Stone Lake located in the county and is the translation of the Dakota Native American name for the lake, which alludes to the large outcropping of granite near the foot of the lake.
Created: February 20, 1862
Ortonville 1881 – present
County Courthouse – Ortonville
Location: 20 2nd Street SE / Lincoln Avenue
Built: 1901 – 1902
Style: Gothic between Romanesque and Classical
Architect: Fremont D Orff of Minneapolis
Contractor: D H Olsen
Description: The building faces west and is a three story light tan colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building is accented with Ortonville granite in a transitional style between Romanesque, in the central arched doorway, and Classical formalism, shown in the arrangement of the windows. The central pavilion, wide gable and key-stoned lintels of the windows carry out this theme. The west front has a large central arch at the first story entrance. The roof is hipped. The building sits on a hilltop.
Note: From 1862 to 1866, the county was attached to Renville County and from 1866 to 1873, it was attached to Stevens County for judicial purposes. The local building used as a courthouse from 1873 was destroyed by fire in 1885. The first courthouse was built in 1886 at a cost of $4,298. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $29,999.
N – Traverse County
Photos taken 2007, 2008 and 2017