Nicollet County is named for Joseph Nicollet, who was a geographer and explorer and who led an expedition to Minnesota, and parts of North Dakota and South Dakota.
Created: March 5, 1853
Traverse des Sioux 1853 – 1859
St. Peter 1859 – present
County Courthouse – St. Peter
Location: 501 South Minnesota Avenue / East Mulberry Street
Built: 1880 – 1881
Style: Romanesque Revival / Italianate
Architect: Edward P Bassford and E W Stebbins of Saint Paul
Contractor: Bohn & Wilce of Winona
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The building has light colored stone trim. The Latin word for “law” being “LEX” is over the west entrance. The building was extended in 1917. The architect was George Pass & Son. A pagoda like, mansard roofed addition was built to protect the front entrance in 1967. In 1978, a three story addition was added to the east side and is brick and limestone with two story arched window openings. The architect was Wick-Kagermeier-Skaar of Mankato and the contractor was George Carlstrom. After tornado damage in 1998, a new steeple was built on the west front. Further remodeling was started in 2001 and completed in 2003. The architect was Vetter Johnson Architects, Inc. and the contractor was R W Carlstrom Construction.
Note: The first courthouse was built by the St. Peter Company at a cost of $5,000. The building burned in 1886. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $26,638. The cost of construction of the 1978 addition was $913,512.
W – Brown County
photos taken 2007