Kandiyohi County is taken from the Dakota language meaning “where the buffalo fish come”. The fish swim upstream in the region’s rivers to spawn.
Created: March 20, 1858
Willmar 1858 – present
County Courthouse – Willmar
Location: 505 Becker Avenue SW / 5th Street SW
Built: 1965 – 1966
Architect: Gauger and Associates of Saint Paul
Contractor: Nelson Construction Company of Willmar
Description: The building faces north and is a three story stone and concrete structure. The building has a projecting folded roof line which is supported by three-story pylons, and its varied surface treatment reflect the style of many 1960s buildings. Gray, random-coursed ashlar covers the walls except for the north front of the three-story section beneath the saw-tooth roof, which is faced by smooth panels of tan stone. The pylons supporting the roof and pagoda-like canopies over the doorways are made of polished pink granite. Terrazzo and metal decorate the interior public spaces, while the three courtrooms are finished in oak paneling. The building is 174 feet by 68 feet. Originally built for two-stories, a third story was added later.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Willmar in 1870 at a cost of $2,000. The second courthouse was designed by T D Allen and built in 1890 at a cost of $30,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $1,000,000.
E – Meeker County
S – Renville County
Photos taken 2007