Lac Qui Parle County is the French name meaning the “lake that talks”, a translation of the Dakota name for the lake “Mdeiyedan”.
Created: March 6, 1871
Lac Qui Parle 1871 – 1889
Madison 1889 – present
County Courthouse – Madison
Location: 600 6th Street West / 6th Avenue
Built: 1898 – 1899
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: Buechner and Jacobson of Saint Paul
Contractor: Olaf Swenson of Saint Paul
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The walls are built of red colored brick trimmed with sandstone above a high basement of river boulders. The building is 59 feet by 134 feet and is centered by a high central tower with an open arcade. Inside, the stairs have marble treads and there is quarry tile in the hallways and tongue-and-grove hardwood on the other floors. There are original oak stairs, banisters, wainscoting and doors.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Lac Qui Parle in 1870. In 1886, the courthouse was moved to Madison. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $36,705.
Photos taken 2007 and 2017