Red Lake County is named after Red Lake and Red Lake River which the Ojibways named for the lake for its wine-like color at sunset.
Created: December 24, 1896
Red Lake Falls 1896 – present
County Courthouse – Red Lake
Location: 124 Main Avenue North / Langevin Avenue NW
Built: 1910 – 1911
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Fremont D Orff of Minneapolis
Contractor: James Brady
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on sloped landscaped grounds. On each of the four corners are pavilions of the brick with small drums and domes. A large central dome, was removed in the 1940′s leaving the square balustered platform. The main east entrance is topped by a classic pediment and emtablature. Inside, a two-story central rotunda has arched openings onto the second level circling hallway.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1896 and burned in 1909.
E – Polk County
S – Polk County
W – Polk County
Photos taken 2008 and 2017