Deuel County is named for Jacob S Deuel, who was an early settler and owner of a sawmill.
Created: April 5, 1862
Gary 1862 – 1890
Clear Lake 1890 – present
County Courthouse – Clear Lake
Location: 408 4th Street West / 5th Avenue South
Built: 1916 – 1917
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Buechner & Orth of St. Paul, Minnesota
Contractor: A M Wold Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a three story square gray colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds on the west side of the center of the city and has a protruding center portion at the main entrance. Above the doorway is a small balcony on the second story. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the west side of the third story.
See: The architect Buechiner & Orth of St. Paul, Minnesota designed many courthouses.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1891.
N – Grant County
S – Brookings County
Photos taken 2007, 2016 and 2018