Cook County is named for Daniel Pope Cook, who was the second United States Representative from Illinois and the first Attorney General of the State of Illinois.
Created: January 15, 1831
Chicago 1831 – present
County Courthouse – Chicago
Location: 118 North Clark Street / West Washington Street
Built: 1963 – 1965
Style: Modern Skycraper
Architect: Jacques Brownson of C F Murphy Associates, Loebl Shossman & Bennett and Skidmore Owings & Merrill LLP
Contractor: Public Building Commission of Chicago
Description: The building faces south and is a thirty-one story steel, glass and concrete structure. The building faces south and was completed in 1965. The building is constructed with Cor-Ten, a self-weathering steel. Cor-Ten was designed to rust, actually strengthening the structure and giving the building its distinctive red and brown color. The building has horizontal windows divided by the vertical and horizontal steel. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Richard J Daley Center and faces south onto Daley Plaza.
County Administration – Chicago
Location: 121 North La Salle Street / West Washington Street
Built: 1906 – 1911
Architect: Holabird & Roche
Contractor: William Grace Company
Description: The building faces north and is an eleven story limestone and concrete structure. The east side is called the County Building houses county office and the west side is named as the Chicago City Hall. Chicago City Hall’s entrance features four relief panels sculpted in granite by John Flanagan. Each of the panels represents one of four principal concerns of city government: playgrounds, schools, parks, and water supply. The upper stories has numerous columns with recessed windows. The interior has elaborate marble stairways and bronze tablets honoring the past city halls of Chicago from 1837 to the present.
E – Lake Michigan and Lake County, Indiana
S – Will County
Photos taken 2008