Eau Claire County is named for the French words meaning “clear water”.
Created: October 6, 1856
Eau Claire 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Eau Claire
Location: 721 Oxford Avenue / Lake Street
Built: 1951 – 1953
Architect: Childs & Smith of Chicago, Illinois
Contractor: L C Arnold Construction of Eau Claire.
Description: The building faces west and is a three story stone, glass and concrete structure. The building forms the center of the complex. The building is faced with buff colored stone. The roof line is flat. An addition was added on the south side in 1973. A further addition was added on the north side in 1988 with architect Ayers Associates and contractor P C Maron Construction Inc. A further addition was added in 1993.
N – Chippewa County
E – Clark County
Photos taken 2007 and 2008