Dane County is named for Nathan Dane, who was a Massachusetts delegate to the Congress of the Confederation and who helped carve Wisconsin out of the Northwest Territory.
Created: December 7, 1836
Madison 1839 – present
County Courthouse – Madison
Location: 215 South Hamilton Street / Wilson Street
Built: 2003 – 2005
Architect: Durrant Architects
Contractor: Miron Construction Company Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a ten story brick, stone, concrete and glass structure. The building forms a triangle with small square windows. The first story has columns with a recessed glass wall. On the upper section is a large glass wall. The roof is flat.
Old County Courthouse – Madison
Location: 210 Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard / Doty Street
Built: 1955 – 1957
Architect: Holabird, Root and Burgee of Chicago and Law, Law, Potter and Nystrom of Madison
Contractor: B Perni and Sons Inc. of Framingham, Massachusetts
Description: The building faces north and is a seven story concrete and glass structure. The north front has a projecting center section with glass doors and cemet grill work on the second level. The roof line is flat. The building servered as a courthouse until 2005 and now serves as the Madisin City Hall.
See: The Wisconsin Supreme Court is located in the county.
Photos taken 2008 and 2015