Cherry County

US States / N / Nebraska / Cherry County
Cherry

Cherry County is named for Lieutenant Samuel A Cherry, a popular officer who was stationed at Fort Niobrara and who was killed in South Dakota in 1881.

 

Created:  February 23, 1883

County Seat:

Valentine 1883 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Valentine

 

Location:  365 North Main Street / West 4th Street

Built:  1901 – 1902

Style:  Federal

Architect:  W T Misner of Omaha

Contractor:  William Maier of Omaha

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The south section extends east. The entrance is located in the center of the east side. The base of the building is course stone and the roof is sloped.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was formerly a structure at Fort Madison, Wisconsin, which was dismantled and erected in 1884 at Third Street and Main Street under the supervision of Hiram Cornell who had purchased and shipped the building. The cost of constructing the old 1901 courthouse was $13,,979. The building was completed by William Maier on August 15, 1901.

 

County Justice Center – Valentine

 

1581c11

 

Location:  365 North Main Street / West 4th Street

Built:  2009 – 2011

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Prochaska & Associates

Contractor:  Beckenhower Construction, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The east front has five high pillars supporting a flat roof. Behind is a recessed wall of glass panels with the entrance in the center of the first story. The building is connected on the north side to the 1954 courthouse.

 

County Courthouse – Valentine

 

1586c11

 

Location:  365 North Main Street / West 4th Street

Built:  1953 – 1954

Style:  Modern

Architect:  John Latenser and Sons of Omaha

Contractor:  D L Moffitt Company of McCook

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a one story buff colored brick structure.  The building is located between the old courthouse on the north side and the Justice Center on the south side. The rectangular building has windows on the north and south sides. The main east entrance is framed with stone. The roof line is flat. On the north side is the old courthouse.

 

See:  The architect, John W Latenser of Omaha, designed courthouses in Custer CountyDawes County, Furnas County and Holt County; and John Latenser, Sr. of Omaha in Douglas County.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Bennett County, South Dakota and Todd County, South Dakota

E – Keya Paha County and Brown County

S – Blaine County, Thomas County, Hooker County and Grant County

W – Sheridan County

 

 

1585c11

 

 

1589c11

 

 

1588c11

 

 

0126cs10

 

 

0127cs10

 

 

1582c11

 

 

1583c11

 

 

1584c11

 

 

1587c11

 

 

0177nm07

 

 

0130cs10

 

 

0131cs10

Photos taken 2007, 2010 and 2011