Douglas County is named for Stephen Arnold Douglas, who was an American statesman, United States Senator and presidential candidate.
Created: November 23, 1854
Omaha 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Omaha
Location: 1701 Farnam Street / 18th Street
Built: 1909 – 1912
Style: French Renaissance Revival
Architect: John Latenser Sr. of Omaha
Contractor: Caldwell & Drake of Columbus, Indiana
Description: The building faces north and is a five story Bedford stone and concrete structure. The building is “U” shaped. The north front has a protruding east and west section with eight large Corinthian columns rising from the second to fourth floors. The first floor entrance has three large stone arches. The fifth and sixth floors are recessed with a long balustrade across the top of the fourth story. The interior has mosaic floors and marble wainscoting.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by E E Meyers & Sons and constructed by John Coots in 1885. The building was demolished.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Douglas County Courthouse
E – Pottawattamie County, Iowa
S – Sarpy County
W – Saunders County
Photos taken 2008