Loup County is named for the Loup River which flows through the Sandhills region.
Created: February 23 1883
Taylor 1883 – present
County Courthouse – Taylor
Location: 408 4th Street / Broadway Street
Built: 1957 - 1958
Architect: Ballmes and D E Matter of Lead, South Dakota
Contractor: Predmore, Northey & Amos of Taylor.
Description: The building faces east and is a one story stone and metal structure. The east front has the glass entrance in the center. A horizontal stone facing is along the bottom half of the building. An extended roof protects the entrance. The white colored metal siding has vertical ridges.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1884. The two story building was constructed at no cost to the county by a rancher who wanted the county seat to remain in Taylor. The building was demolished.
N – Rock County
E – Garfield County
S – Custer County
W – Blaine County
Photos taken 2006 and 2010