Boyd County

US States / N / Nebraska / Boyd County
Boyd

Boyd County is named for James E Boyd, who was the Governor of Nebraska in 1891 and 1892 to 1893.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Gregory County, South Dakota and Charles Mix County, South Dakota

E – Charles Mix County, South Dakota and Knox Counnty

S – Holt County

W – Keya Paha County

 

Created:  March 20, 1891                       Map of Nebraska highlighting Boyd County

County Seat:

Butte  1891 – present

 

County Courthouse –  Butte 

 

Location:  401 Thayer Street / Park Street

Built:  1965 – 1966

Style:  Modern

Architect:  B H Backlund & Associates Inc. of Omaha

Contractor:  Busbomm & Rauh of Salina, Kansas

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story light brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Butte. The central west entrance of the rectangular shaped building has a small canopy over the doorway. There are yellow colored vertical panels between the windows. The roof line is flat. The building houses the District Court and County Court of the 8th Judicial District.

 

See:  The architect, B H Backlund and Associates Inc. of Omaha, designed courthouses in Brown County and Cuming County.

 

See:  On the east side of the courthouse is the old one story red colored brick jail built in 1904.

 

See:  The 8th Judicial District includes Blaine CountyBrown CountyCherry County, Custer CountyGarfield CountyGreeley CountyHolt CountyHoward County, Keya Paha County, Loup CountyRock County, Sherman CountyValley County and Wheeler County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1891 and Butte was selected as the county seat. A two room store was moved into the center of Butte and was the first courthouse. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1904 and remodeled in 1941. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1965 to 1966.

 

 

0125t10

County Courthouse – Butte

 

 

0127t10

 

 

x_9

 

 

0128t10

 

 

0124t10

Photos take 2010