Holt County is named for Joseph Holt, who was a member of President Buchanan’s cabinet, post-master general, secretary of war and a judge-advocate.
Created: January 9, 1862
Paddock 1879 – 1980
O’Neill 1880 – present
County Courthouse – O’Neil
Location: 204 North 4th Street / East Clay Street
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Art Deco
Architect: John W Latenser & Sons, Inc. of Omaha
Contractor: Peter Kiewit & Sons Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The west front has a projecting stone section at the entrance. Two square pillars rise to a large stone header and between the pillars are the entrance and above is a vertical three section window. The center section rises above the roof line. A horizontal stone band runs below the first story windows and stone decoration is above the second story windows. White panels divide the first and second story windows.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1885. The building was demolished.
N – Boyd County
W – Rock County
Photos taken 2009 and 2010