Custer County is named for General George Armstrong Custer, who was a United States Army officer and who died at the Battle of Little Big Horn.
Created: February 17, 1877
Callaway 1877 – 1882
Broken Bow 1882 – present
County Courthouse – Broken Bow
Location: 431 South 10th Street / South E Street
Built: 1911 – 1912
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: John Latenser of Omaha
Contractor: George P Shaul of Seneca, Kansas
Description: The building faces east and is a two story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The east front has a large portico with two large white colored columns and a recessed entrance. The first and second stories have smaller white columns dividing the windows. The roof line is flat. On the west side is the old jail constructed in 1914.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Custer County Courthouse
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1878 and was destroyed by fire in 1910.
Old County Courthouse – Callaway
Location: Pacific Street and Cameron Street
Built: 1876 – 1877
Style: Log Cabin
Architect: Milo F Young
Contractor: Milo F Young
Description: The building faces south and is one story log structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds and is “L” shaped. The south front and the east side have porches. The roof is hipped. The building was the first courthouse in the county.
Photos taken 2010 and 2016