Greeley County is named for Horace Greeley ( 1811-1872 ), the famed founder and editor of the New York Tribune, who advocated support and land grants for farmers and a government financed railroad to the Pacific.
Created: March 1, 1871
Greeley 1871 – present
County Courthouse – Greeley
Location: 301 East O’Conner Avenue / Kildare Street
Built: 1913 – 1914
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Berlinghof and Davis of Lincoln ( George A Berlinghof )
Contractor: H Ohlson & Son of Loup City
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff-brown colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The central entrance on the first story is recessed and framed with stone. A horizontal band runs between the first and second stories. Vertical pillars divide the windows on the second and third stories, A wide cornice runs below the room line. On the west side there is a large crest at the roof line.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1890. The building was demolished.
See: The architect, George A Berlinghof of Beatrice, designed courthouses in Colfax County, Franklin County, Howard County, Kearney County, Lincoln County, Nemaha County, Seward County and Thayer County; and in Iowa in Crawford County.
N – Wheeler County
S – Howard County
W – Valley County
Photos taken 2010