Keya Paha County is named for the Dakota name of a hill and the river was named from that hill, “ke-ya” meaning “turtle” and “Pa-ha” meaning “hill”. The river was called “wa-kpa” or “Turtle Hill River”.
Created: November 4, 1884
Springview 1884 – present
County Courthouse – Springview
Location: L Street ( north side ) / 12th Street
Built: 1914 – 1915
Architect: O E Shipley
Contractor: O E Shipley
Description: The building faces south and is a two story white colored stucco structure. The main entrance is located on the south side. The arched entrance is recessed with a roof at the top of the first story. Arches frame the tops of the first story windows. The base is white colored stone. The roof is flat. The building is located on spacious grounds.
E – Boyd County
W – Cherry County
Photos taken 2006, 2007 and 2016