Dawes County is named for James W Dawes, a former governor of Nebraska from 1883 to 1887.
Created: February 19, 1885
Chadron 1885 – present
County Courthouse – Chadron
Location: 451 Main Street / East 5th Street
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Art Deco
Architect: John Latenser & Sons of Omaha
Contractor: C E Atwater, Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building faces east and was completed in 1937. The east front has stone trim around the entrance and stone lattice on the upper part of the center tower. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by J V Cousand and constructed in 1887. The building was demolished. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $71,890.
N – Fall River County, South Dakota and Shannon County, South Dakota
E – Sheridan County
S – Box Butte County
W – Sioux County
Photos taken 2007