Brown County is named for two of five members of the Legislature who sponsored the bill to create the county in 1883 and who had the surname “Brown”.
Created: February 19, 1883
Ainsworth 1883 – present
County Courthouse – Ainsworth
Location: 148 West 4th Street / North Woodward Street
Built: 1958 – 1959
Architect: B H Backlund & Associates, Inc. of Omaha
Contractor: Fullen Construction Company, Inc. of Scotts Bluff
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The south front has dark glass divided into six vertical sections framed with light colored concrete. On the east and west are large dark glass walls divided into three sections by narrow dividers. The building has few windows and a flat roof line. On the north side is a one story red colored brick addition which is attached to the main building. Nearby is the old Sheriff’s Residence.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by W D Vanatta & Company and constructed by William Whitticar, Frank Whitticar, W D Vannatta, J B Finney and Lew Williams in 1888. The building was destroyed by fire in 1958.
N – Keya Paha County
E – Rock County
S – Blaine County
W – Cherry County
Photos taken 2006 and 2010