Sherman County is named for William Tecumseh Sherman, who was a general in the American Civil War and who lived from 1820 to 1891.
Created: March 1, 1871
Loup City 1873 – present
County Courthouse – Loup City
Location: 603 O Street / South 6th Street
Built: 1920 – 1921
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Henningson Engineering Company of Omaha
Contractor: John Ohlsen & Sons of Loup City
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick structure. The south front has four large white colored columns rising to a wide decorated frieze at the roof line. The entrance is framed with white colored stone and above is a large arched window on the second story. The windows on the first story are trimmed with white stone. Horizontal bands of white colored stone run below the first story windows and below and above the second story windows. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by John W Harkins in 1878. The present courthouse was dedicated on October 8, 1921 and R D Hendrickson and J H Lee demolished the old courthouse with John Ohlsen buying the brick.
N – Valley County
E – Howard County
S – Buffalo County
W – Custer County
Photos taken 2006 and 2010