Bennett County is named for John E Bennett, a Judge of the Supreme Court and for Granville G Bennett, a Dakota Territory judge.
Created: June 3, 1909
Martin 1912 – present
County Courthouse – Martin
Location: 202 Main Street / 2nd Avenue
Built: 1967 – 1968
Architect: Dana Larson Roubal & Associates
Contractor: Ryder Construction
Description: The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a glass entrance in the center. There are entrances on the south and north sides of the building. There are few windows in the building. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1918. An addition was built in 1933..
N – Jackson County
E – Mellette County and Todd County
S – Cherry County, Nebraska
Photos taken 2006 and 2009