Webster County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Webster County
Webster

Webster County is named for Daniel Webster, who was a statesman, senator and the United States Secretary of State.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Marion County

E – Sumter County

S – Terrell County and Randolph County

W – Stewart County

 

Created:  December 16, 1853                Map of Georgia highlighting Webster County

County Seat: 

Preston  1853 – present

 

County Courthouse – Preston 

 

Location:  6330 Hamilton Street / Washington Street

Built:  1915 – 1916

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  T F Lockwood, Sr. of Columbus

Contractor:  Shields, Geise and Rawlings

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Preston. The south front has a portico supported by four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The second story windows are arched. There is stone trim around the windows. The roof is pitched with a small square cupola in the center of the south side. The courtroom is located on the second story.

 

History:  The first courthouse was built in 1860. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1914. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1915 to 1916.

 

 

0339a10_0

County Courthouse – Preston

 

 

0338a10

 

 

0340a10

 

 

0341a10

 

 

1266g20

 

 

1267g20

 

 

1272g20

 

 

1273g20

 

 

1274g20

 

 

1275g20

 

 

1276g20

 

 

1277g20

 

 

1278g20

 

 

1279g20

 

 

1280g20

 

 

1281g20

 

 

1282g20

 

 

1283g20

 

 

1284g20

 

 

0336a10

Photos taken 2010 and 2020