Marion County is named for Francis Marion, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War and who lived from 1732 to 1795.
Created: December 28, 1828
Tazewell 1828 – 1849
Buena Vista 1849 – present
County Courthouse – Buena Vista
Location: 100 Broad Street / 6th Avenue
Built: 1849 – 1850
Style: Vernacular with Neo-Classical
Architect: E A Smith
Contractor: T W Smith
Description: The building faces west and s a two story white colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has a large portico supported by four high columns with pediment at the roof line. The roof is pitched with a square cupola with clock. The building was remodeled in 1928 when the portico was added. The contractor was W C Fulford. The building was renovated from 1964 to 1965. The architect was Preston McIntosh and the contractor was Creveling, Inc.
Old County Courthouse – Tazewell
Location: NE – Highway 137 / Highway 240
Architect: L W Wall
Contractor: L W Wall
Description: The building faces east and is a two story white colored wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and is constructed with pine wood. There is a wide open porch on the first story of the east side with six wood posts rising to a sloped roof at the second story. The roof is hipped. The building is used by the Masonic Lodge.
Note: The cost of construction was $1,637.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Old Marion County Courthouse ( Tazewell )
N – Talbot County
S – Webster County
Photos taken 2010