Muscogee County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Muscogee County
Muscogee

Muscogee County is named for the Muscogee Native American tribe known as the Creek Indians.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Harris County

E – Talbot County and Chattahoochee County

S – Chattahoochee County

W – Russell County, Alabama 

 

Created:  June 9, 1825                           Map of Georgia highlighting Muscogee County

County Seat: 

Columbus   1825 – present

 

County Courthouse – Columbus  

 

Location:  100 10th Street / 1st Avenue

Built:  1972 – 1973

Style:  Modern

Architect:  E Owen Smith and Biggers, Scarbrough, Neal, Crisp & Clark

Contractor:  Jordan – Grove Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a twelve story concrete and glass structure. The building is located in the center of Columbus and sits at the south end of a plaza flanked by one story buildings on the east and west sides. The main building has horizontal panels between each story. The building has a flat room. The building houses the merged county and city government and is The Government Center. There are 9 courtroom with the large courtroom located on the eleventh story.

 

History:  The first courthouse was built in 1829 in Columbus. The second courthouse was a three story brick structure built in 1838. The third courthouse was a large domed structure designed by Andrew J Bryan and constructed by De Volt in 1896 at a cost of $63,500. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1972 to 1973.

 

Old Chattahoochee County Courthouse – Columbus  

 

1162g20

 

Location:  3557 South Lumpkin Road / Custer Road

Built:  1854 – 1855

Style:  Antebellum Wood Frame

Architect:  James Cottingham.

Contractor:  James Cottingham.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story white colored clapboard structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds in the center of the Historic Westville to the south of the center of Columbus. The building has an entrance on each side. There are green colored shutters and a hipped roof. The second story is an unfinished open space. The building was erected in Cusseta in  Chattahoochee County and served until 1974. The building was moved to Lumpkin and then moved to Columbus. 

 

Note:  The old courthouse is the only antebellum courthouse in Georgia with no exterior changes. The cost of construction was $6,000.

 

 

0220a10

County Courthouse – Columbus

 

 

0222a10

 

 

0223a10

 

 

0225a10

 

 

0226a10

 

 

1148g20

 

 

1149g20

 

 

1150g20

 

 

1151g20

 

 

1152g20

 

 

1153g20

 

 

1154g20

 

 

1155g20

 

 

0227a10  

 

 

1159g20_0

Old Chattahoochee County Courthouse – Columbus

 

 

1165g20

 

 

1160g20_0

 

 

1168g20

 

 

1169g20

 

 

1170g20

 

 

1171g20

 

 

1172g20

 

 

1166g20

Photos taken 2010 and 2020