Peach County is named for the abundance of peaches grown in central Georgia.
Created: November 24, 1924
Fort Valley 1924 – present
County Courthouse – Fort Valley
Location: 205 West Church Street / South Miller Street
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: Dennis & Dennis
Contractor: Griffin Construction Company of Atlanta
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and the north front has a projecting center section with three arched entrances and with a pediment at the roof line containing the County crest. A wide horizontal white colored band runs below the roof line. The northwest and northeast corners are projecting one story sections. At the top of the sloped roof is a tall white colored cupola with green colored done. The courtroom is located on the first story. The building was restored in 1969 after a fire. In 1972, a “T” shaped addition was constructed on the south side. In 2000, an annex was constructed on the west side. The architect was Russell Claxton of Claxton Architects.
Note: In November 1935, the bid of Griffin Construction Company was accepted at $58,875. A B Lea Plumbing Company was also hired to do the plumbing work The total cost of the project was $74,371. This construction was a Works Project Administration project.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Peach County Courthouse
E – Houston County
S – Macon County
Photos taken 2013 and 2018