Stewart County is named for Daniel Stewart, who was an officer during the American Revolutionary War and during the War of 1812.
Created: December 23, 1830
Lumpkin 1830 – present
County Courthouse – Lumpkin
Location: 2 Main Street / Cotton Street
Built: 1895 – 1896
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Andrew J Bryan of Atlanta
Contractor: Felton & Lyttle
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The north front has a large portico supported by four white columns with pediment above. There is a similar portico on the south side. The windows are long and narrow. Above the north portico is a high square white cupola with clock at the top. The roof is pitched. The building was destroyed by fire in 1922 and rebuilt in 1923. The architect was T Firth Lockwood Jr. of Columbus and the contractor was Shields-Geise Lumber Company. The building was renovated in 1935 to 1936 under the Works Projects Administration. The building was renovated in 2010.
See: The architect, Andrew J Bryan, designed the courthouses in Alabama in Coffee County, Lee Countyand Monroe County; in Georgia in Colquitt County and Pulaski County; in Kentucky in Bracken County and Mercer County; in Louisiana in Pointe Coupee Parish; in Mississippi in Attala County and Simpson County; and in Texas in Rains County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Stewart County Courthouse
S – Quitman County
Photos taken 2009 and 2010