Bibb County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Bibb County
0195G13

Bibb County is named for Nathaniel Macon, who was a former United States Speaker of the House of Representatives and a Senator from North Carolina.

 

Created:  December 9, 1822

County Seat: 

Macon  1822 – present

 

County Courthouse – Macon 

 

Location:  601 Mulberry Street / 2nd Street

Built:  1870 – 1871

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Curdon P Randall

Contractor:  George S Herbard

 

Description:  The building faces east and  is a four story red colored brick, concrete and stone structure. The east front has an arched entrance on the first story with four columns rising from the second story to the third story with windows between. A horizontal band runs between the first and second stories and between the third and fourth stories where a cornice projects from the building. On the center of the roof is a dome with green colored roof. The interior floors are marble. During construction the superintendent was Jere Fuss. In 1922 to 1924, the building was reconstructed. The architect was Curran R Ellis and contractor was Southern Ferro Concrete Company. During construction, the superintendent was L R Samford. In 1926, the fourth story was added to house the jail. In 1940, the building was remodeled under the Works Project Administration. The modern addition on the west side was constructed in 1979. The architect was Britain, Thompson, Olson & Bray of Macon and the contractor was Amerson Construction Company of Macon.

 

Courthouses: 

Monroe County  and Jones County

E – Twiggs County

S – Houston County and Peach County

W – Crawford County

 

 

                     

0193g13

County Courthouse

 

 

0194g13

 

 

0198g13

 

 

0197g13

 

 

0199g13

 

 

0201g13

 

 

1358f18

 

 

1359f18

 

 

1360f18

 

 

1361f18

 

 

1362f18

 

 

1363f18

 

 

1364f18

 

 

1365f18

 

 

1366f18

 

 

1367f18

 

 

1368f18

 

 

1369f18

 

 

0202g13

 

 

0203g13

Photos taken 2013 and 2018