Crawford County is named for William H Crawford, who was a United States Senator and United States Secretary of the Treasury.
Created: December 23, 1822
Knoxville 1822 – present
County Courthouse – Knoxville
Location: SE – State Route 42 / Hortman Mill Road
Built: 2000 – 2001
Architect: Precision Planning Inc. of Lawrenceville
Contractor: Piedmont Construction Group of Macon
Description: The building faces north and is a one story stucco, and concrete structure. The north front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment extending from the sloped roof. On either side of the portico are one story section which extend from the main building. There are small dormers on the roof. Behind the portico is a large square cupola with clock and dome at the top. The building was renovated in 2009. The architect was Pieper O’Brien Herr of Alpharetta and the contractor was Paul Hogan Construction Group of Norcross.
Old County Courthouse – Knoxville
Location: SW- State Highway 80 / Fairplay Hill Road
Built: 1831 – 1832
Style: Vernacular with Greek Revival influence
Architect: Henry Crews
Contractor: Henry Crews and E W Dennis
Description: The building faces north and is a two story white colored stucco and wood structure. The north front has dual steps rising to the second story entrance. The roof has a peak rising on each side.
Note: There was a disagreement between Henry Crews and the County, and E W Dennis was hired to complete the courthouse. Joseph Bemille of Macon was paid by the county treasurer the sum of $270.00 for plastering the lower rooms of the courthouse.
N – Monroe County
Photos taken 2013